View Single Post
Old November 12, 2011, 12:53 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raansu View Post
See, that's what has been bothering me. It should technically be a beast, but it seems to have issues with actual gaming. That's why I'm looking around for opinions of people that have a bit more technical experience than me, as I only know like the bare bones of this stuff lol. It just seems to me like dual gpu's in a single card or otherwise seem to have issue's, so I want to find a card thats a single gpu card that will perform at or better than the 5970 on a performance level for actual games and not just in benchmarks, but people seem to always say the same thing with regards to the 5970 choking when it comes to gaming, but then anything else would be a downgrade, so it just always makes me scratch my head and I tell myself to just stick with my card till the next generation of gpu's come out, but patience has never been my strong point lol.

Edit:

I'm mostly looking at the radeon 6970 or the gtx 580, but leaning towards the 6970 as its cheaper. But again, I'm looking for some opinions before I consider buying a new card, since benchmarks don't always seem to mean good performance.
From what I know of the 5970 and experiences my friend had with it; it seems to have a lot of microstuttering that is noticeable when gaming, along with all the issues everyone mentioned. I think you should wait it out a bit if you can for the 7xxx. From what I've read online, they should be coming out in Jan or sometimes in Q1 2012, and being 28nm, they are estimated to be roughly 40% more powerful than the 6xxx. Given the trend in ati's performance through the generations, the 7970 will be a single card solution and will be more powerful than a 5970. My friend sold his card on ebay for 500$, which was awhile back, but I'm sure you would be able to get quite a bit for it still, and use that money towards a new 7xxx. I also read that similar to the 6xxx, the high end 7xxx will be on a new architecture, while the mid-range will be a die shrink of the 6950/70 architecture. If this was a 6 or more months back, I feel a 6xxx option would be warranted, but since the 7xxx is so near, it's more worth waiting for imo.