View Single Post
  #21 (permalink)  
Old November 9, 2011, 04:19 PM
lsquare lsquare is offline
Top Prospect
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 174

Originally Posted by JD View Post
That seems strange? I don't know though, never dealt with contractors.
I've just been informed that it's actually quite normal for that to be specified in the contract.

Well typically speaking, you always have wall-mounted jacks terminate to a patch panel, then you connect the patch panel to a switch. You don't HAVE to, it's just the recommended way. You'll need a switch in the laneway house though regardless. No need to have separate cables running around the laneway house and back to the main house. You should just have 1 "trunk" back to the main house.

Yeah, some minor holes in the walls will need to be cut then. Usually though (if they're experienced) the damage should be fairly minimal.
I'm confused here. Why would I need a switch in the laneway house when all of these cables go back to the master bedroom in the main house? There will be a 16 or 24 port switch over there. I was told to get a patch panel for the main house as that's where all of the cables terminate.

I don't understand why another switch or patch panel will be needed in the laneway house. A switch may make sense if I don't want to have multiple cables running into the laneway house and it's a cheap way to extend the connections.

Actually, would I save a lot of money and does it make a lot of sense to have conduits installed in the laneway house? What are the odds that I'll need to replace the cables in the future? The cables in the main house are clipped inside the wall and there's no conduit anyways. Does it cost a bit more to request conduits to be used? In terms of actual cost, how much would it be?
Reply With Quote