View Single Post
Old October 31, 2011, 09:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default New HTPC Build, What case and other things?

Hey guys, so I am going to be building a new HTPC and have a few pressing issues regarding it.

First things first, the case. I have narrowed things down, at least I think I have, to a few different ones.

NCIX.com - Buy Silverstone Grandia GD06B mATX HTPC Case 1X5.25 3X3.5 Hot-Swap 2X2.5 3X120MM USB 3.0 Fan No PS Black - Silverstone Technology - GD06 - in Canada
NCIX.com - Buy Silverstone Grandia GD04B Black HTPC mATX Desktop Case 1X5.25 2X3.5INT 1X2.5INT 3X120MM Fan No PS - Silverstone Technology - GD04B - in Canada
NCIX.com - Buy Silverstone Lascala LC13B-E Black HTPC ATX Case No PS - Silverstone Technology - LC13B-E - in Canada

Now from those I think you can tell that I want a very minimal front without anything flashy. Also I will be getting a mATX board so really the smaller the case the better. Out of those 3 I like the front of the LC13 the most but I like the size of the GD04 and 06. One other thing is that I would normally like to get the case locally but Memory Express only has the GD06 and LC13. Really I am quite torn. I like the way they have a cover that attaches to the dvd/bluray drive on the GD04. I also want the quietest case and the less changing of fans to achieve that the better. Oh yea, I don't care about drive space as I will only be putting in a single 2.5" drive and a single dvd/bluray drive. Other than that I just need space to put cables from the psu.

Anyone have any experience with any of these cases or any other case like these and around the same kind of price?

As for what exactly is going in to this case, I am also a little torn. I am looking at either an Intel i3 2100/2120 system or an AMD A4-3400/A6-3500. Really from what I have been reading these are all capable of playing 1080p bluray quality without issue. I know the cost of the Intel most likely will be higher but I am also a lot more used to Intel then AMD. I already have a thread sort of regarding this choice:
AMD or Intel for new HTPC

So anybody able to chime in on these? Also as for boards, if I go with the Intel, I think I would go with this:
NCIX.com - Buy ASUS P8H67-M PRO/CSM REV3.0 H67 mATX LGA1155 2PCI-E16 2PCI HDMI DVI Sandy Bridge B3 Motherboard - ASUS - P8H67-M PRO/CSM REV 3.0 - in Canada
or for AMD this:
NCIX.com - Buy ASUS F1A75-M Pro mATX FM1 DDR3 AMD A75 2PCI-E16 1PCI-E1 1PCI USB3.0 SATA3 HDMI DVI GBLAN Motherboard - ASUS - F1A75-M PRO - in Canada

Thoughts on those boards or any other part of this build? Keep in mind this is only getting used for playback of networked media using Mediaportal and minor Internet usage, it will not be used for live tv and will use the integrated video only.

Thanks for any and all input.