View Single Post
Old October 30, 2011, 10:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default custom or closed loop? help me decide which one is right for me.

Hi all. Lately I have been thinking of upgrading my CPU cooling from Corsair H60. I'm running the i5 2500k at 4.7 ghz getting 70 C max at full load in prime95 using realtemp and hardware monitor and I am looking to drop my temps some. I don't think the h60 has all that much cooling power and I know I could be getting better temps with a different cooling kit. If I can drop to the 60 degree range I would be really happy but I don't know please don't laugh at me if that is a ridiculous thought/goal lol.

Now my dilemma is do I purchase a corsair H100 or do I go custom water cooling? You might laugh at me for thinking I can do custom in an mATX I think it can be done. The case is quite long and has great cable management. I can sacrifice both of the 5 1/4" drive bays either for reservoirs or HDD/SSD storage. I removed the HDD cages in the front where dual 120 mm fans are mounted and would be perfect for a 240mm rad. I took the measurements and I have exactly 275mm to work with which is exactly enough for an h100 and hopefully some 240mm custom radiators. The only thing I am worried about is the hose length. I sized it up comparing the cpu block to my h60 and where the connectors are and the distance is about 9 inches from cpu block hose to the top of the radiator where it would be sitting. Also would an H100 give a dramatic temp change opposed to an H60?

With all that being said I do like the possibility of water cooling other components in the future.

I'm not afraid to dip my toes into the custom water cooling world. Budget is not much of a factor. I do like to tinker with my stuff a bit and can appreciate a challenge but at the same time I can appreciate ease of maintenance and simplicity long term. I don't know guys, what do you think? Should I go with custom or will the H100 suffice? Does anyone have any input on the length of the hoses?

Also for system specs look at my profile thing on the right there. Everything will be the same but the motherboard is an ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z, the case is a Fractal Design Define Mini and possibly the CPU clock speed. Oops I also will likely be removing the HDD as I don't use it at all unless I can find a single bay reservoir but from what i notice all the ones I have seen are dual bay.

Your input is greatly appreciated as always.