Thread: Whats better
View Single Post
Old October 29, 2011, 10:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I think there are many types of PSU on the market because there's so many configurations of high-end computers as well... Since you're talking about a modular PSU, I assume mid to high-end computer since you normally can't get ~250W modular PSUs.

ilya explained the multiple vs single rail quite well, so I'll chime in on the modular.

For modular vs. non-modular, you can save money with non-modular (e.g. Seasonic S series vs. M series) and you don't have to worry about a loose connection on the PSU end. Note getting such a loose connection is rare but it does happen. If you have a cramped case or bad cable management, then you'll want modular unless the added length from the modules will give you clearance issues.

In any case, before buying a power supply, look at a good review on it that FULLY loads the PSU with a load tester and measures with an oscilloscope. You can have a pretty-looking single-rail fully modular PSU but it's no good if it smokes and damages half the components it was connected to in the process.
"The computer programmer says they should drive the car around the block and see if the tire fixes itself." [src]