View Single Post
Old October 28, 2011, 04:33 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Are you wanting to be able to remotely access it outside of your house, say at work or at school? I know it sometimes can be a pain in the ass, especially RDC, however I found a program I've been using for a few weeks that blows RDC out of the water.

It's called Team Viewer, and thankfully its free to use if it is for house/personal use. It essentially is like RDC, except you don't have to set any of that port forwarded crap up as it does it automatically. All you have to do is log securely into it either with an account that sits on the computer, or via the username and randomly generated password on it. The only downside is I have to switch from Windows Server 2008 to Windows 7 for my own server as even though I'm using WS 2008 for home use, its still flagged as commercial software.

Another great thing is the fact you can access any of your computers with Team Viewer installed (and the computer is on) via android/iPhone app or through its web client (which I use at work as they block standard ports here). I have it installed on my 2 computers (mine and my fiancees), my home server (which will eventually get Win 7 so I can use the software again), and I even installed it on my parents computer so I can remotely access their computer whenever they have computer issues and do it manually, rather then trying to be over the phone tech support for them.

I'd definitely recommend checking it out as like i said, its free for home/personal use, they only charge for commercial usage (ie on corporate licenses of windows)