View Single Post
Old October 24, 2011, 05:44 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10e View Post
Yup, sure do. Mostly folding here, so we can dominate in the Chimp Challenge yearly

Just missed the get together in T.O. this October due to the birth of a new 7lbs. folder!

I consider it the next step to the 2209WA. Low input lag, but a little bit worse overdrive causing some reverse ghosting. I play games often on it, and it doesn't bother me, and it's hard for me to pick up even when looking at it.

More reverse ghosting on the U2412M. I was able to get into the service menu and shut off the overdrive, as well as adjust it lower for different results. It has an on/off toggle and goes up and down from a level of 55 (going from memory).

The problem with the original batch of 2209WAs (which I had in Jan 2009) was that they often had a blue to red tint on whites going across the screen. This is tough to calibrate.

Spyder3 Pro is probably a great software/hardware combination, which seems to work well for wide as well as sRGB gamut.

Yeah, I have to ask too. These settings/results seem absolutely WAY OFF

Lowest contrast of an IPS panel? Everyone is getting minimally 750:1 contrast after calibration and I was getting 1100:1 before calibrating !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 This was with my NEC tuned X-Rite I1D2 sensors, but I am waiting for my favorite program to support my new Eye One Display 3/Pro to get even better results.

I have to re-read the review to see what the testing equipment was, but it seems like a different screen than what I got. Default settings were 1100:1 or higher at all brightness levels, and gamma was in the 2.1 range for me at 75 contrast (default).

Here's what I got before I started calibrating (for contrast ratio):

This is with the standard color preset.

For those concerned about a dominant blue (typical of W-LED back-lit screens it seems), try using the "Color Temp" preset with "5700K" selected.

I found this to be a very nice setting. It's sitting next to a well-calibrated screen costing three times as much and it's looking fairly similar.
The numbers that I got for contrast are the numbers I got for contrast. Confirmed it via Spder's built in suite and using ColorHCFR. Both were taken from the center of the screen and both programs came back with the same results.

They were indeed lower than what every other IPS monitor we have tested has given. YMMV but that is what we got and it lines up with my own judgment when compared against the others I have tested (ie its most likely a 6 bit panel going up against 8 bit panels). The 2412 is very good entry level IPS panel, but it can not compete against the 2410 (which by your numbers would place the 2412 ahead of the 2410). This is why the difference in pricing and why the 2410 will be sold alongside the 2412.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M View Post
/begin threadnecro

You mention Spyder which is a $200 piece of software. At the risk of sounding cheap I have to ask if you know of anything more affordable that bridges the gap between professional and free (useless).

/end threadnecro
You can pickup the basic Spyder 3 Express. The only difference betwen the various Spyder 3s's (IIRC) is the software. Should be able to pick one up for about 90 usd or so. Assuming you dont want to do anything fancy and just want to CLAIBRATE your monitor that is. If you want to get more fancy (and dont mind a bit of a learning curve) you could use the open source ColorHCFR program + Spyder 3 Express to tweak things to perfection. But honestly, the basic express software kit by itself will tweak things darn close.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr