View Single Post
Old May 5, 2008, 05:17 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Interesting goodies. I think you'd still have to load a raid driver though? I have a Raid related question too:

What is the performance gain of say 2x500mb drives in Raid 0 versus 1x1TB drive assuming access times and RPM are equal? Everyone says it's faster, but how much?

Don't mean to hijack the thread sswilson, but thought it would be an appropriate place to ask.
That's what I'm wondering. Does the enclosure present a single drive to the port natively, or would it require software to see two drives as one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit View Post
Only a limited number of mainboards come with eSATA connectors. If you do not have the connector then you would need a HBA and that would mean drivers. Do mainboards with eSATA support booting from eSATA?
I've been running the boot drive on my test bench out of an eSATA enclosure for several months now. The only real downside between using standard SATA connection vice eSATA for it is the loss of hot plug capabilities, so the drive must be plugged into the board during boot.

Anywise, thanks for the comments folks, it's not something I'm going to jump right into, but I thought it was an interesting concept worth considering. (Isn't everybody always looking for budget solutions which work??? :) ).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP