View Single Post
Old October 17, 2011, 09:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilesG View Post
The problem I see with that card is that it only has stereo (2.1) over optical, however DVD playback is in 5.1 sound. My motherboard's integrated sound will do just this. From what I am getting from reading around, this is because DVD sound is already encoded in 5.1, whereas the audio in games is dynamic and need to be encoded on the fly.

But I do appreciate the suggestion. I think I would just need something basic, but perhaps I would get more enjoyment out of something a little higher end? When it comes to sound cards, I don't know where the cost vs. performance curve starts to level off.
If you live near a Canada Computers or something, that would probably be your best bet for finding something like that. My experience is that a $50-$100 card sounds the same as a $200+ card for optical. It really should be the same digital signal here.

What about something like this? It's really hard to find out whether these specify 5.1 analogue, or analogue and digital. Auzentech, Inc. : X-Studio 5.1 Sound Card : World First soundcards for Music, HTPC, and Gaming.

From http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/20...ptical-coaxial

Reply to chunkymonster
choirbass 11-19-2006 at 09:56:11 AM
-0+
yeah, the only sound cards that offer realtime digital 5.1 encoding in either ddl or ddl/dts are:

Turtle Beach Montego DDL - Offers only DD live, and only optical toslink digital connections

HDA Blue Gears X-Mystique - Offers only DD live, offers both coaxial rca and optical toslink digital connections

HDA Auzentech X-Plosion - Offers both DD live and DTS interactive, offers both coaxial rca and optical toslink digital connections

HDA Auzentech X-Meridian - Offers both DD live and DTS interactive, offers both coaxial rca and optical toslink digital connections

Creative also offers an external DTS interactive interconnect, called the DTS-610... its certainly not efficient when it comes to cable usage, but it gets around the DRM issues

Last edited by JMCD; October 17, 2011 at 09:10 PM.