View Single Post
Old October 13, 2011, 04:32 PM
Rookie

Default Artifacts on boot screen and integrated graphics in Windows [GPU is dead?]

Hello guys,

I was running a couple of GPU hungry programs [Maya, UDK, and Photoshop] when the PC crashed. I rebooted and it worked fine before it crashed few min later. I left it off over night and this morning it seemed ok for few min before it crashed again. Now the problem is consistent. When I boot it I get artifacts on the very first boot screen, they disappear on the next screen where I'm asked which OS I want to boot. When windows is launched, it is ran on integrated graphics [I think, low resolution, no transparent windows Effects, no Dual screens, no 3D]

I've reinstalled [clean install] the GPU drivers, I even tried moving the GPU to a different slot on the motherboard, it gave me an error and told me to put it back to slot one [on boot, the artifacts where still there]. Nothing made a difference.

Here is a really bad photo of the artifacts

In the Device Manager it shows the GPU with an exclamation mark with no indication on what that means, not even a tool box when I hover over it.

Is my GPU dead? I can't afford to buy a new one, not for a while. I really need all the help I can get!

System info:
GPU: 8800GT
CPU: Q6600 quad core
Motherboard: Evga Nvidia 780i
PSU: Corsair HX620W