View Single Post
Old October 12, 2011, 10:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Price? A 2500k is $200 and will oc easy to at least 4.5Ghz. 2500k performance at 4.5Ghz will blow any BD chip out of the water in 99% of tasks. For the very small minority that run something with 8 threads sure you can save a few $ with BD but why not just spring a few more and get 2600k and have better performance for the other 99% of tasks as well?
And who wouldn't want better performance in 198% of tasks?

Seriously, though - Bulldozer's failure to keep up in single- or lightly-threaded applications really oughtn't come as much of a surprise to anybody. It's failure to keep up in multi-threaded applications, though, is an absolutely shocking finding that undercuts the whole raison d'Ítre of Bulldozer. here are my takeaways:

It's a poor chip for ordinary users; It's a poor chip for gamers; It's a poor chip for crunchers; and, from the indicators that hint at SMP performance (wPrime and Cinebench), It's a poor chip for servers. In sum, Bulldozer has failed to appeal to ANY market at all, not even AMD's traditional stronghold in the budget category. AMD has pulled some fail over the years, but this has got to be the most epic of them all!

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!