View Single Post
Old October 8, 2011, 10:37 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
You can just daisy-chain a bunch of these together to get however many ports you need:
NCIX.com - Buy Trendnet TEG-S80G GREENnet 10/100/1000 8 Port Gigabit Switch RoHS - TRENDnet - TEG-S80G - in Canada

Cheap and works fine. Assuming your router has 4 LAN ports, you could hook up 1 switch to each port netting you 24 ports total. Nothing stops you from plugging a switch into a switch either though, so you can have as many ports as you need.

Granted it's going to be sharing bandwidth, but it's unlikely that you'll saturate a Gigabit link that often. Internet access surely won't. Only if you have a ton of LAN traffic it might become an issue.

And if you need to plug 2 devices into a single jack, you could use one of these on BOTH ends: For only $2.02 each when QTY 50+ purchased - T Adapter Cat5e 1M/2F - 6 inch | T Adapters
Only downside is that you'll be limited to 100Mbps due to the way it "shares" the single cable.

Placing a single wireless router on the 2nd floor, in the middle of the house, should get you whole home coverage (depends on how big the house is though and if there's a lot of metal in the walls/floor). I'd recommend the WNDR3700 personally as that's what I use. My WNDR3700 resides in the basement, about center in the house, and it covers my whole house, but it's only a 2 bdr bungalow at ~800 sq ft.

Although the ASUS RT-N16 is a good router, it's wireless is lacking IMO. Single band, and just poor signal strength. I still use it though as my router-only, running Tomato firmware. My WNDR3700 is the access point, with stock firmware.
Thanks for the advice.

My new house is about 3500 sq. feet. Sadly the wires all terminates in the master bedroom on the third floor. If I put a wireless access point there, I'm pretty sure the basement and parts of the main floor will not have a decent signal.

Does the Tomato firmware have the capability to turn a router into a wireless repeater?