View Single Post
Old October 8, 2011, 12:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
Now here's the problem. I don't like where the network jacks are in some of the rooms. As a result I'll have to use a long network cable to attach the electronics to the jack just to get it into the right position in the room. The problem with that approach is that it's going to appear messy. Are there any conduits that attaches to the wall in which it'll easily cover up the network cable? Any suggestions on how to properly do this?
There is product to do this.... Raceways, Cable Trays and Conduit for Safe Cable Runs

Quote:
As stated, there's only 1 Cat 5e cable going into each room. For some members of my family that will be fine. However, for me it's not going to be ok as I want to attach both my Xbox 360 and computer into the port. With 1 only Cat 5 jack, what can I possibly do?
Buy a 5 port switch and plug your wall outlet and all your toys into it. It'll work perfectly. Only "problem" is that everything in your room will share the bandwidth of a gigabit link.... which will not be a problem.

Quote:
The house has 3 floors and there needs to be wireless access on all 3 floors. I think in 2011, I need to deploy a dual band wireless N network. My question is, which wireless routers do you recommend to get this job done? All of the wiring reaches a terminal in the third floor of the house. I'm pretty sure I'll need at least two routers so that one will act as a repeater to ensure that there is indeed total coverage in the house. Where should I place the routers?
I would get something like the Asus RT-N16. It's got external antennas so you should be able to put high gain ones on and get your range up. I would start with just leaving the wireless router on the third floor with all the other equipment and see how it goes from there. You might have to lay the antennas flat. You'll have to experiment.....

Quote:
As mentioned that all of the cables reaches a terminal on the third floor. However, the network cables aren't attached to anything. There are no switches or routers in that terminal area yet. Do I buy a switch to attach all of those cables to and then connect the switch to the modem and then to the router?
Buy a switch with 2 or 3 more ports than you have wires. You'll need at least 1 extra for the uplink.

You plug the modem into the router, then port 1 of the router goes to the last port of the switch. Then plug all other wires into the switch. Done deal.

Quote:
Since I'll have a tenant living in the basement, I think it'll be best to keep him to another wireless network. I have an existing Linksys WRT54L that can be used. Would you guys recommend that I use that to create a second wireless network just for the tenant? If so, how do I integrate that into my existing setup?
Are you saying that you want him off your network? Or just off your other wireless access point?

There are 2 ways to do this, wired or wireless. Wireless would work with the WRT54L that you're talking about. Put it in the basement and load something like DD-WRT firmware on it and then turn all routing off for the router. Run a wire from the WAN port of the router to one of the ports on your switch on the third floor.

The wired method would require you to get a "smart" or semi-managed switch (for the 3rd floor switch) and create VLANs.

If you want him off your network entirely but still have access to your internet connection then you're going to need a switch that does VLANs, I think.