View Single Post
Old October 1, 2011, 12:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The issue with your power supply is not the total wattage, but the strange distribution of power rails on that PSU. Your +12V has a 18A (216W), 16A (192W), and oddly, an 8A (96W) rail.
Unless you can confirm your GPU will never try to draw power from that 8A rail (probably attached to hard drives), don't try it because you'll watch your computer shut down when things get graphically demanding. If it wasn't for that strange 8A rail I'd say it would work. I've run Dell and HP PSUs close to their limit before (375W power supply with a Radeon 4850, 300W power supply with a GeForce 7900GS and 95W TDP quad), and they usually handle it fine but they get hot and inefficient.

Take a look at these possibilities:
Newegg.ca - CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 V2 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Newegg.ca - Antec EarthWatts EA-500D Green 500W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
NCIX.com - Buy Antec High Current Gamer 520W 40A 24PIN ATX12V V2.3 Active PFC 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply 135mm Fan - Antec - HCG-520 - in Canada

I'll agree with you that the max wattage of these recommendations is high for a non-OC'd computer, but for some reason manufacturers won't put two PCIE connectors on power supplies rated at less than 460W. You could go with a 400W unit from Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, or other quality brands but you'd need a "Molex" to PCI-E adaptor, which I don't recommend because it's an extra connection that can fail.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy5561 View Post
I'd really hate to pay another $80 for a power supply, is it even possible at all to install the graphics card without upgrading the PSU, or is it certain disaster.
From my experiences with Dell / HP default power supplies, it won't explode but don't be surprised if it shuts down on you.