View Single Post
Old September 30, 2011, 10:28 AM
F@H

My System Specs

To answer your is it worth it question, it really depends on the type of games you play and if they have support for it. I switched to it when I saw how much more peripheral vision I got when I was playing BC2, which added to the realism as well as we as humans have quite the peripheral view. So for first person shooters is rather helpful, even gives me peripheral views in say tanks and vehicles I'd normally not have. Not every shooter supports it, but namely the ones worth playing do *cough* BF3 vs CoD *cough*.

Another benefit is if you play racing games, as it gives you that added peripheral view you'd have driving a car, allowing me to see sooner when a car is coming up to try to pass me and I can deal with them. With RPGs you get to see more around your character, this may or may not add more to the game for you as with these you only potentially get to see more enemies approaching you from different directions then you normally would.

Some games are optimized for it, while some just give you support for it. An example of optomized would be the HUD and all the important information (such as health in an rpg or ammo in a shooter) is still in the central screen, leaving the side monitors just as peripherals. Games that just give you support I would consider would be those whom stretch out the HUD (properly, so it doesn't look weird) but stores some of the important information on the far screens. This can be quite the pain sometimes as in NFS:Hot Pursuit my speedometer and my maps were on the far left and far right corners of my side screens making it harder to see them.

You also need to realize that you essentially need at least 2 graphics cards, preferably mid to high end range as the higher resolution puts more of a strain on the cards then say 1920 x 1080. Games in where you may get 90 FPS with 2 high end cards may get you 50 or 60 FPS on 6000 (bezel compensated) x 1080.

Going back to money wise, its worth it if you enjoy the extra visual details and don't mind having to keep up with the graphic card refreshes or spending more to get the same frame rates as your single monitor counter parts. Now would I go back to one monitor gaming, hell no, I even hate it when I have to play some games on one monitor. For me, my next "upgrade" will be slightly larger monitors so the fiancee can watch better.

I'd also recommend you going through the official thread I have in my signature and ask any questions in there to some things mentioned that you don't understand, but by all means keep at this thread too.