Thread: 460 or 6850 or?
View Single Post
Old September 24, 2011, 11:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg View Post
At least one person replied to my bump/followup!

Thanks, man! I am terrible at deciding and so indecisive!

I am looking at an i5-2500k build in which I could use the Intel HD 3000 graphics to last me until that time happens (when the new stuff comes out and hopefully, the 560Ti cards drop a bit in price).

Another positive to that is I can at least get something with a warranty. I don't put a lot of stock in that considering what happened with BFG but it's still a plus compared to a used card with no warranty. I'm looking at Nvidia so a transferable warranty won't apply unless I choose an ATI card and then I'd have to go with XFX.

I looked at 6950 and there are a lot of people saying these cards have drivers resulting in stuttering. The 6950 really looks like an efficient card, though. Low power/temps considering the performance you get. Seems like a very ideal card for me if the drivers were half decent. My problem is I'm a hard core Linux user so when I'm in Windows, everything would be fine but when I'm using my Linux partition, there are major question marks regarding drivers. OTOH, there are some advantages but it depends who you talk to.

Sorry to bore you with some Linux comments but your idea does make good sense. The problem is I cannot decide so until I sell some of my old stuff and look at finances, I'll be entertaining every idea and route to go. lol!

All comments and opinions appreciated! :)
Are you sure you are not thinking of microstutter? AFAIK microstutter happens because of mutli gpu setups.
I had zero issues with microstutter with 1 6970, played smooth no stutter, add in the second 6970 and bc2 microstutters, break the xfire config and plays fine.

I have to agree though AMD's drivers are not better than nV's IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton

Last edited by Supergrover; September 24, 2011 at 11:38 AM.