View Single Post
Old April 6, 2007, 11:46 AM
Top Prospect

I currently have mine running at 633/973.

I was experiencing around the same temps as you - which I thought were pretty high.

I ended up downloading Riva Tuner

Now I can get at the low level fan settings and when I set the fan to run @ 100% (instead of the stock 60%) my load temps went from 75c or so down to 65c!

Having the fan at 100% does generate some extra noise, but when I'm playing a game, I either got the headphones on or I have my speakers & subwoofer cranked, so a little fan noise doesn't make a difference.

I tried using the nvidia control panel to control the fans, but it doesn't seem to work. Perhaps its just because I'm running XP pro x64 bit edition.

I also noticed something else when overclocking the card: I use a small program called NVtray that has a nice little OSD when playing my games that shows the temp of the GPU and FPS and a couple of other things about the vid-card. When I overclock the card too much with ATI tool or the Nvidia control panel, for some reason, I loose the OSD - it app just craps out. However, when I overclock the card using Riva Tuner, NVtray's OSD app doesn't crap out and continues to work at much higher overclocks. I guess Riva tuner doesn't conflict with MS Framework, which is what this NVtray uses.

I think I can probably get a little more out of this card (especially with the fan at 100%) but for now I'm just enjoying my current settings. I really noticed a difference once I overclocked the card - I was able to bump up a few games to the next level of graphics performance that were not really playable before.
i7-860 @ 4.2Ghz (1.33v) EVGA P55 FTW SLI (E657-A51 Bios) Thermalright ULTRA-120 Trueblack Rev.C G.Skill Ripjaws 4G DDR3-2000 Antec 850W TPQ 2xBFG GTX280 1G SLI Acer X263W 25.5" LCD Crucial C4 256G WD FAEX 1TB LG DVDRAM GH20NS10 Thermaltake Kandalf case Windows 7 Pro x64

E8400 @ 3.96Ghz (1.42v) EVGA 780i A1 (P08) ZalmanCNPS9700NT G.Skill 4G DDR2-1000 eVGA GTX280SC 1G Windows 7 Pro x64 1xSeagate Barracuda 7200.11 500G