View Single Post
Old September 19, 2011, 10:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertuxedopants View Post
I plan to use Ubuntu Server.

If you plan on storing your files using a journaling file system such as XFS (strongly recommended) then you'll want to pack in as much RAM as you can. The rule of thumb is 1GB of RAM per 1TB of storage. Note - this is used storage, not available storage space. But keep in mind your future data requirements.

Another thing I would recommend looking into, particularly if you are not going to be using a hardware RAID controller with BBU, is ECC RAM. It's been estimated that between 1-10 out of every 1000 writes suffer from some level of memory error. If your data is important to you, an ECC-enabled system will remove the risk of in-memory data corruption.

Now, you usually need server hardware for ECC RAM, but modern AMD components can utilize unbuffered/unregistered ECC RAM and they feature the necessary BIOS implementations to do so. Something like this would do the trick. Combined with this and 8GB or more of this, and you'd be good to go.

One last suggestion I would make is to use a pair of Intel NICs that you can "team" or "bond" together to either increase bandwidth or provide failover protection (or both). Intel NICs are preferred for their reliability and compatibility.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!