View Single Post
Old September 10, 2011, 07:14 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Honestly, I think for most enthusiasts its not actually a matter of "dislike"; rather it is simply the fact that most of us are ultra conservative in our approach to components. If you have 3 or 4 models of a given product you trust or consider to be "known good parts" the chances of you "taking a risk" on a unknown are very unlikely. This sometimes translates into a bit of fanboism with comments that dont properly convey this attitude (e.g. "XYZ sucks") when in fact what most of us mean is "I have other products I know to be good...why risk it on an unknown...and why should YOU risk it?".

Perfect example of this is by simply compare and contrasting how say Corsair and OCZ usually go about "breaking into" a new market.

Corsair taps one of the most trusted names for their first foray into it. Such as Seasonic or Asetek. They rarely are in the bottom half of a given niches price range. They rarely do MIRs on them. More importantly IF the first foray does not pay off they switch things up and change OEM (take the later CoolIT based Hydro coolers as a great example). Basically, Corsair takes an ultra conservative approach that plays to the enthusiast communities strengths, beliefs and biases. IF they do break into the market then and only then to do they "risk it" by changing things up and offering lower models. BUT still keep the high end kit the same.

Compare this to OCZ who take larger risks and prefer to break into a market via lower price. Sometimes it works out. Sometimes it does not.

Take their SSDs. They basically found Indilinx and made it THE controller to own (and yes I am ignoring their first JM ones...as JM was basically one of the only games in town that early on). They also usually come in with VERY competitive prices and rely heavily on MIRs to make their new kit even more tempting. Sadly, all this does NOT play to the enthusiasts biases and beliefs ("We" for the most part do NOT take MIRs into account with price. In fact, many consider this to be a sign of weakness in a product and a "good" reason to stay away from it until it is PROVEN to be good kit)... Thus more friction and they have to PROVE its good kit before a large portion of the enthusiast niche will buy.

Each business model has its strengths and its weaknesses. Neither is perfect or even optimal. It really is just a case of what "we" like to see vs what "works" for a given company. Hell, the enthusiast community is only one slice of the pie and what another slice prefers could be the exact opposite. ;)

Just my 2 cents....YMMV. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr