View Single Post
Old September 9, 2011, 03:00 AM
Rookie

Default HTPC Build on a Budget

Hi Guys, Awesome forum loaded with lots of great tips and suggestions. I'm close to purchasing the pieces to the puzzle and thought I could use a little input, help, advice, etc.

Here goes...

I'm building an HTPC around a Ceton InfiniTV 4 using Windows 7's Media Center, I'd have it running pretty much 24/7 in a dual display setup, WMC will need to be set to output in 1080p via HDMI on the flat screen for TV and other media, while web surfing and some light gaming (LofL) on the main display connecting via VGA or DVI input (really dependent on which video card I purchase). I'd also be using 2 xbox 360s as Media Extenders.

I'm going to canabalize parts from other PCs so that I can keep costs relatively low while trying to get the best bang for my buck. I have a fairly new Thermaltake TR2 430W power supply on hand but if need be I can buy a better option.

The pieces I'm looking to upgrade are:

CPU
Mobo
RAM
Video Card
Power Supply?
BluRay Drive? (if within budget, could go with DVD Burner from spare parts if not)
Ceton CableCARD tuner card.

I'd love to get an SSD as a boot drive into this bad boy as well but maybe later on down the road when prices come down.

I'm also adding an OTA HDTV PCI tuner card from a prior build as well into this build, the idea here is I can give this tuner priority over the cableCARD tuner for local un-encrypted QAM channels when recording in WMC.

Looking to spend around $800 USD but might go higher if I need to.
Please tell me your recommendations.

Thanks in advance for your input guys =)

Last edited by BrooklynJew; September 9, 2011 at 03:18 AM.