View Single Post
Old September 3, 2011, 02:22 PM
Rookie

Default Weeks worth of research and my build almost complete! Please advise

Hello,

This is the latest build I have come out with that comes out at a good price.

Intel Sandybridge i5-2500K Unlocked Core i5 Quad-Core Processor (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache, Socket 1155)
Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory Two Module Kit
MSI GTX 580 Lightning 1536MB
60Gb OCZ Agility 3 SSD Read 525MB s Write 475MB s
Samsung F3 HD103SJ 1TB internal Hard Drive SATAII 32MB Cache 7200RPM OEM
Coolermaster HAF 922 Mid Tower Chassis
Corsair TX Series, 650 Watt, ATX, PS/2, Power Supply, UK Version
Samsung Blu-ray Combo Drive
Genuine Windows 7 Home Edition x64

I have been learning all I can about PC's this week and must have done 30+ hours researching and I am at my wits end lol.. I've learnt that all the above components are more or less the best for what I want it to do; University studies, Movies and mostly gaming.

I am chose the 1.5GB version of the GTX 580 as I will be only using one 24" monitor at 1920 x 1200. I heard the 3GB is only useful for higher resolutions which my monitor won't natively support and for multiple monitor which I don't like anyway.

I may attempt to try to overclock in say a year or two when the PC shows it's age but not currently as I don't want to chance damaging anything or voiding warranties.

I am aware that a new Asrock board is out that has PCI-E 3.0 which is needed for the next generation of video cards but I don't need this as I have a GTX 580 which is PCI-E 2.0 and apparently this graphics cards is more than enough to play games on max setting for the next 2 years at least. If I need more power then rather than buying a new PCI-E 3.0 card I would prefer to go the SLI route and get another 580 which by that time will be a lot cheaper.

Here are my questions please;

1) Can someone recommend to me the cheapest and best motherboard for my needs? I heard that Z68 is one of the best but I am completely new to this so I am all ears.

2) Is 650w enough for my current build and if I go SLI then how much power will I need? I might get a higher PSU in preparation of future SLI.

3) Is the case I've chosen any good for cooling and ventilation or do you have alternatives?

4) Do I need to buy an extra cables or anything else for this build? My mother's friend builds pc's for a living and is going to put this all together but I will look stupid when he comes round and there are no cables or anything to put it together lol.

I'm sorry that I am probably asking a question that has been asked 100 times before but I have been researching a lot for all these components again and don't want to do another 10 hours research for something that you guys could answer in a couple of mins. I just want to buy the parts now lol

Thanks!