View Single Post
Old September 2, 2011, 05:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieli View Post
Is the AMD e-350 faster than Intel P6100 for general computing/work and, if possible, video?
AnandTech - The Brazos Performance Preview: AMD E-350 Benchmarked
IntelŪ PentiumŪ Processor P6100 (3M Cache, 2.00 GHz))
Mobile Processors - Benchmarklist - Notebookcheck.net Tech

The AMD E-350 really biased its performance towards the video card, while Intel's entire lineup is the opposite, biasing performance towards general "CPU" work.
Looking at the reviews, if a previous generation i3 at 1.2GHz is clock-for-clock better than the E350, then the P6100 at 2.0 GHz would be much faster than the E350. Synthetic benchmarks at notebookcheck put the CPU half of the P6100 at approx. twice as fast as the E350. From what I see in the synthetics, I wouldn't use an E-350 for looking at huge (25+ pages with pictures) PDF documents, but I'm impatient with my office software.
For video playback, as other have already stated, it's the opposite case. I won't comment much because I've never seen a recent Intel IGP in action.

For quickly having to turn the computer on (or bring it from sleep mode) and take notes, as others said, your first bottleneck is still going to be the hard drive. I minimize that by using a Seagate Momentus XT hard drive. It has better price/capacity than SSDs, and it's a night-and-day difference from a 640GB 5400 RPM drive that came with my laptop.

Last edited by frontier204; September 2, 2011 at 05:46 PM. Reason: typo