View Single Post
Old September 1, 2011, 12:24 AM
Rookie

Default First Time Build Questions

Hi, I'm a complete novice currently trying to put together a build at NCIX. With the help of people on the forums there I have a pretty good idea of which components I would like to use, but still have a lot of questions. When searching for reviews on a lot of the components I was considering, I ended up at Hardware Canucks time and again and am hoping it wouldn't hurt to post some questions on the forums here.

I will use the system for gaming, photoshop, and have been thinking about getting an HD video camera. I am trying to stay under $2500 Canadian. I prefer Intel systems and will be using an older 5 speaker/sub woofer, keyboard, mouse, and 19" ultra-sharp (which will be upgraded to 23" ultra-sharp in the near future which I would like use at 1920 x1080.) I have been searching forums and reading reviews as much as possible for the past couple of weeks. I don't want to rule out overclocking, but probably won't if the system runs everything I need it for well enough. I plan to order it assembled as soon as possible, but just need to learn a little more before making the final decision.

I realize some of the components might be overkill for the uses I have mentioned, but want to leave options open in the chance I might become more of an extreme gamer. Here is what I have so far, I'll post questions at the bottom. This site has been a great help so far and I plan to keep coming back to learn as much as I can. Hopefully one day I will be able to confidently choose components for future builds and assemble them myself. But for now I hope those who are more knowledgeable would be kind enough to help get my first attempt at a build right, it would be greatly appreciated.

CPU: Intel i5 2500K 3.3 GHz

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Z68

Memory: Corsair Vengeance Lowprofile 8GB 2x4GB DDR3-1600

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 580 Fermi 772MHZ 1536MB

Case: Silverstone Fortress FT02B-W

Power Supply: Corsair Professional HX850W 850W

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB

SSD: Intel 510 - 120 GB or Crucial M4 128 GB

Blu-Ray Writer: LG BH12LS35 Blu-Ray Writer

1. How would you use the SSD? Just get a 64 GB and put windows on it, get a 120 GB and put windows and games on it, or use the Smart Response Tech that comes with the motherboard? How to explain to NCIX which configuration I chose? If I went with one of the first two options, would Raid have to be enabled when installing windows? Any other advice?

2. Would the onboard sound card be good enough? Was thinking about the ASUS Xonar DX 7.1, but thought this might be an item I could drop to keep the cost down a little. I do listen to some music, but am mainly concerned with the sound card holding back games. I have an older Dell 5 speaker/subwoofer set.

3. If someone is familiar with the FT-02 Case, can they see any issues with the build. I seem to remember seeing something about optical drives, but have been to so many sites, forums, and reviews, I can't remember the details. I have seen videos on U Tube with the NH-D14 in a FT-02, so I know it fits and chose the low profile RAM to be safe. I really like the look of this case. The dust protection and air cooling are a big plus with me as well.

4. I know I have more questions, hopefully I will remember them. Any help on questions 1-3 would be greatly appreciated and would be grateful for any suggestions or advice on the build. Thanks to all who have read this long post to this point.