View Single Post
Old August 29, 2011, 09:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theolonious View Post
My plan is to now buy the APEX power supply
Don't do it if you want to keep your rig for more than 30 seconds!

Allied AL-D500EXP 500W power supply review Review
Quote:
It blew up. Literally. It couldn't do better than a good 350W, and the OCP didn't stop it from dying.
Assuming you're buying from newegg.COM, I suggest these in the same price range that won't explode.
Newegg.com - SILVERSTONE SST-ST40F-ES 400W ATX 12V 2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Other suggestions would be from the Antec HCG series or maybe the Earthwatts series if you can't afford an HCG, or any Seasonic with the connections that you need, such as the S-12 series. Don't believe misinformed suggestions that for some reason you need a PSU that says 500W on it for gaming.

Since you're running an i3, that will not draw more than 75W, and add 150W MAX on the Radeon 6850 (with one PCI-E connector you can't draw more than 150W max without exceeding the capacity of your wiring). Add hard drives, and your computer will barely draw 230W on stress tests. My Core i5 2500k + GTX 550 Ti both overclocked only draw 230W according to my BluePlanet meter, so you'll be less than that.
A *good* 350W power supply that has the needed connectors will do fine for your i3 + 6850 combination.