View Single Post
Old August 22, 2011, 12:42 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo' power View Post
It seems that overkill is a word that is thrown around a lot. Personally, I don't believe in overkill, I believe in futureproofing. Today's overkill components are tomorrow's optimal components. I think you should buy the best you can afford or what you are comfortable spending now then having to replace something in a year or two's time. You never know what kind of system you'll have a few years down the road. Even though you system may be slightly bottlenecked now, it probably won't be in a year or two as you upgrade or replace your platform.

When buying a psu, I don't buy the one that is optimal for my system, I buy the best most powerful one I can afford. As for video cards, I was using my old GTX275 for physx. Overkill? Yes. But I already had the card when I upgraded to SLI. As for my old power supply, was it overkill when I bought it? Definitely. But it wasn't overkill when I upgraded my platform. I'd still be using it now if it hadn't given up the ghost, but that's beside the point.
So when people start throwing around overkill, take it with a grain of salt. Picture what direction your rig is going and take it from there. Just my $0.02.
True. :)