View Single Post
Old August 21, 2011, 06:18 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
OP, I'd stick with a single GPU if I were you. As previously mentioned, your 5870 is no slouch and should still be solid for a while. (Depending on what games you play and what FPS you expect/want) Moving forward, I'd stay away from dual GPU solutions. (Both in sli/XFire and dual GPU cards) Both companies seem to have dropped the ball with multi-card driver support recently. Also consider the cost of a new PSU if you're going multi-gpu. And really, with the excellent performance of both the 580 and the 6970 as single GPU's, it's very difficult to justify spending more money. But, as always, it comes down to individual choice. I spent money on dual 570's recently, then switched to a single 580 and was very happy. (Not to mention, significantly reduced power consumption, noise and heat output.)

*EDIT* - The term 'bottleneck' refers to your computer being only as fast as it's weakest link. Consider data flow as pumping water through a series of pipes, all of various widths. You'll only ever be able to push water through as fast as the smallest pipe allows you to. This is particularly noticeable in a gaming environment, as most games only take advantage of a couple cores and no hyperthreading. (Two thicker pipes are more effective than 4 or 6 smaller ones, since only two will be open at any given time.) So it's all about top-end speed and cache. Although, there's typically a hard-cap on CPU speeds before diminishing returns in games. This, of course, is likely to change in the future as more and more games are being developed for multicore usage.
So you're saying that I shouldn't have any trouble for future games? Right now I'm looking into buying Skyrim. There's no specs out yet but it looks demanding..

Sorry for sounding pesky.

And thanks for the explanation.