View Single Post
Old August 18, 2011, 02:05 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Smile Unlocking 2 HD 6950's + Overclocking, is it possible?

Heya guys, I'm going to be building a PC soon for gaming obviously, I'm asking a graphics card question after all

Before I get to my couple of questions about the Graphics cards, here's some helpful information about the other specs which the computer will contain:

Processor/CPU:
Intel core i5 2500k

Motherboard:
Asus P8Z68-V PRO

RAM/MEMORY:
GSKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (DDR3 1600 MHZ)

Basically, what I'm asking for here is, I've been debating what GPU(s) to put in my planned gaming machine. The resolution which I will be playing at is 1920x1080.
I will be gaming heavily, some of the most (intensive?) games which have yet to be released, which I'll play will Include Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Mass Effect 3, Borderlands 2, RAGE, DOTA 2, Guild Wars 2... you know the deal

So I have been debating which Cards to go with:
the GTX 570's in sli (usually... about $340 each) (I found they didn't outperform the HD 6950's let alone the HD 6970's and costed about $100 more to get them both)

or the HD 6950 2GBs in CFX which are $299.99 each (The HIS ones )

I have heard of the 2GBs and their Dual Bios and such, and how I can flash them to HD 6970's (Just unlocks shaders right? need some clarification on this)

If I was to unlock these 2 cards to HD 6970's, could I still overclock them when they are 6970's?

Also, 2 of the unlocked cards work in crossfire right? What If I wanted to do considerable overclocking to them both, will this work? (stupid question I know )

Also here's a notice: I will have a beefy high quality PSU so the PSU will not be an issue! thank you guys for your input!