View Single Post
Old August 16, 2011, 07:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've been talking with Arinoth about this issue on WLM this morning.

I've also had this issue occur before, however it wasnt with Steam. After much fist-pounding-on-table research what solved my problem was nothing to do with the program causing the issues...If that makes any sense ;)

The issue is actually caused by MSVC (Microsoft Visual C++ redistributable) in windows, and is usually in conjunction with installing a file via *.msi rather then the traditional *.exe
To rectify it, you can either remove the registries related to MSVC, if you're comfortable with that. Or simply uninstall ALL the different versions (seriously MS, why do I have 4 different redist's in add/remove?) of MSVC and then reinstall whatever was giving you problems.

I'd suggest renaming this to something about "Failure to install: Administration rights" or something, to help out the next guy down the road that runs in to this problem.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about