Thread: Should I wait?
View Single Post
  #3 (permalink)  
Old August 6, 2011, 12:26 PM
frontier204 frontier204 is offline
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,230

My System Specs

Default

If you're waiting for Bulldozer, you should be OK if you get a cooler that's also compatible with AM3 / AM3+. If you pick out a cooler that is compatible with a current AM3+ motherboard, then you can upgrade to Bulldozer and keep your cooler. Intel? I doubt it after seeing coolers have to change brackets for 775, 1156, and 1366.

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulldozer_(processor)
MSI AM3+ CPU Support

As for the CPU, are you bottlenecked in anything you do with your computer? I was, which is why I changed from a Phenom 9950 (which was only slightly overclocked because Phenom 1 was not a good clocker) to a Core i5 2500k. However as a victim of the Cougar Point chipset recall, I'll also remind you that if you get a Sandy Bridge platform now, you get a little bit of peace of mind given that the P67 has been around for over half a year in the market. If you get a Bulldozer or Sandy Bridge E on release day, you may need to go through a few iterations of driver and BIOS updates for strange little bugs.
__________________
"The computer programmer says they should drive the car around the block and see if the tire fixes itself." [src]
Reply With Quote