View Single Post
Old August 3, 2011, 05:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

@trayton

I am also getting near this and is one of the big reasons why I do not have a separate machine in my daughters room. Part of what you can do is kind of a two fold thing. One restrict the time they can go online. Do this using a router if you can and just have it set to block certain hours of the day/night. This is better than just locking accounts as this way they can still use the machine if needed, just can't go outside your local network. The next thing is a lot harder, trust. I understand the reason to put tracking/keylogging software on the machine and I sort of agree with it. For one thing it gives you a record of what information gets given out and with the right software you see whatever is being said to them with IM's, chats, etc. This can be very useful if for example they end up getting bullied online or something (yes I still struggle with how that really works since you can just shut off the computer).

But in the end your best solution is trust with your daughter, she needs to know that you trust her to make the right decisions and that if she doesn't she can come to you no matter what. Do I think my daughter will be talking to boys and running off to meet them and then doing drugs and all that, no I don't. But that doesn't mean it won't happen at some point and time. No matter what you hide on the computer these things will still end up happening, you just have to hope your daughter knows that she can come to you and tell you.

I know that the spying software is a touchy button for plenty of people (more so for the younger ones/ones without kids) but it can be a slippery slope. One other option that you can take is installing the software and then telling your daughter. Tell them it is not to spy and that you are not going to use it for that. It is only there to help ensure her safety if someone bad contacts her, bullying, etc.

At the end of the day I think that you have to just talk to your daughter and find a solution that works for both of you.

And since you did ask for suggestions:
Keylogger download - free keylogger - "Perfect Keylogger" - invisible Windows 7/Vista/XP key logger. Download the best parental spy software. Stealth key logger for parents, spouses and their kids!