View Single Post
Old August 2, 2011, 09:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Build: Rexy

Well, I guess that leaves enough hardware for one extra build. We'll call this one Rexy, just like Caillou's favourite pet dinosaur. What, you don't all watch Caillou every morning at 7:30am? What's wrong with you? Here's a taste of what you're missing:

‪CAILLOU LOST IN THE JUNGLE‬‏ - YouTube

Anyway, remember that RIIIE that I used to test the engineering samples and briefly considered using in BOSServer? Well, it remains unaccounted for, so my options are to try to flip it or use it. And since I already have all the hardware necessary to use it, that's just what I'll do. I have one extra Q3QS, so it will go in there. The big question here is how to cool it. I have a Coolermaster Hyper 212 and a Zalman CNPS10X Flex I could use - and both are very adept heatsinks. But, both are a bit boring. The RIIIE is a neat board insomuch as it has both LGA1366 mounts and LGA775 mounts for the CPU heatsink, and it is the latter that has got me thinking...

I have an old Swiftech Apogee Drive. Remember those? Before the current all-in-one LCS craze, the Apogee Drive was a trailblazer, integrating the pump (MCP-350) and CPU block into one unit. It's a bit of a dinosaur now, especially since I only have the LGA775 hardware for it. But since Rexy a) has LGA775 mounts and b) is a dinosaur, it seems like a match made in heaven! So I'm going to try to keep this loop as simple as possible - especially since I will be attempting to cram it into an Antec 900, notoriously one of the least watercooling-friendly cases of all time. Wish me luck!

Planned specs:

Motherboard: ASUS Rampage III Extreme
CPU: Xeon Q3QS
CPU Heatsink: Custom water loop*
RAM: 3x2GB Patriot DDR3-1333 CL9 RAM
GPU: XFX 8800GS
Case: Antec Nine Hundred
PSU: Tagan BZ 800w
HDD: Maxtor 250GB
Optical: Samsung DVD-RW

*Watercooling loop:
Pump: Swiftech Apogee Drive
CPU block: Swiftech Apogee Drive
GPU block: None
Reservoir: Probably just going to use a T-line
Radiator: 1 x HWLabs Black Ice GT Stealth 240
Fittings: Bitspower silver barbs of various types
Tubing: Primoflex green 3/8" ID 5/8" OD

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!

Last edited by Dead Things; October 3, 2011 at 02:35 PM.