View Single Post
Old July 27, 2011, 07:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Build: Leviathan

Many of you are probably already familiar with Leviathan. Here is my Leviathan build log, for those of you interested in catching up. Anyway, Leviathan is a nice easy place to start since the only thing going on here is a CPU upgrade. I'll be moving from quad Opteron 8356's to quad Opteron 8439SE's. So that means going from 16 to 24 cores, and from 2.3GHz per core to 2.8GHz per core. There are also other efficiencies associated with the 45nm manufacturing process of Instanbul processors compared to 65nm Barcelona's, so all-in-all, it should be a pretty worthwhile upgrade.

This is something that I have been planning for a long time, but the price of Istanbul processors remained high, preventing me from moving forward with it. Thanks to Magny Cours, and everybody's bated breath regarding Bulldozer, though, Istanbul finally started plunging in price over the past couple of months. I wound up paying just under $800 for all four 8439SE's, whereas they would have cost $800 each as recently as March on the second-hand market.

Anyway, the new processors are in transit, so I will update this thread with pictures and results once I get them in. Leviathan is a pure folding box. When I first put it together, I toyed with the idea of using it for my web server, but decided against that early on.

For now, with the 8356's, Leviathan posts the following PPD numbers:

P6904 = 95,000 PPD
P6903 = 85,000 PPD
P6900 = 55,000 PPD
P2684 = 45,000 PPD

Can't wait to see how much those numbers improve with the new goodies.

Anyway, to cap off the introductory post to Leviathan, here are the planned system specs. New/upgraded items are indicated in red.

Motherboard: Tyan S4985
CPU: 4 x Opteron 8439SE
CPU Heatsink: 4 x Coolermaster TX-3
RAM: 8x2GB Micron DDR2-667 Registered ECC RAM
GPU: Integrated
Case: Coolermaster HAF932
PSU: Rosewill RBR1000-M 1000w 80+ Bronze
HDD: Seagate 7200.10 320GB
Optical: LG DVD-RW

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!

Last edited by Dead Things; July 29, 2011 at 12:19 AM.