View Single Post
Old July 27, 2011, 11:28 AM
Rookie

Default Budget Performance PC (Audio,Video and Gaming)

So this is my first time posting and I was wondering if anyone could answer a few of my questions.

Basically I started building a computer this summer for audio recording, video editing and some gaming. The main purpose is to record synthesizer tracks and some live audio as well and then mix it and such.I'll probably be using Fruity Loops, Audacity and Reason. I also might use this computer for converting some old videos into a more up to date format. Finally I figured that, while I am at it, I might as well make it capable for gaming.

In terms of overclocking I would like the ability to but I probably wouldn't do it until later down the road. My budget is under $1000 but I figured I'd probably be paying about $800. No brand preferences really except for the fact the my mother board and video card are spoken for as intel and nvidia respectively. Finally all of my components will be purchased in Canada

So far I have been playing it safe but only buying stuff when it come into a good price range. So far I have a few things that I purchased although I'm confused about what I should purchase.

Purchased Components:

EVGA GeForce GTX 460 SE
Buy the EVGA GeForce GTX 460 SE 1GB GDDR5 PCIe at TigerDirect.ca
Purchased for around $90 +tax with some instant saving and mail in rebates

ECS Black Deluxe P67H2-A2 SLI (B3)
Newegg.ca - ECS Black Deluxe P67H2-A2 SLI (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Purchased for around $100 +tax with instant savings and mail in rebates again

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
Newegg.ca - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL
Purchased for around $50

Yet to Purchase Components:

Hard Drive
I was looking at buying something at around 7200RPM and 6Gb/s SATA at a price range of under $100.
I noticed Hitachi Desktar drive came up with more features than western digital or seagate for a cheaper price. Although I'm not sure if Hitachi has the most reliable hard drive. Is there anything specific I should be looking for in a hard drive with my current setup? Also does anybody have any review of Hitachi to share or is it worth paying more for WD or Seagate?

Power Supply
This is my most troublesome area as I have the least experience in dealing with PSUs. On newegg.ca I noticed that there were a lot of brand names for PSUs and I couldn't tell which one to trust. With some searching I found out the RAIDMAX wasn't well trusted but other than that I don't know much else. Some names I keep seeing are OCZ, Corsair, Kingwin, Thermaltake etc. Can anybody provide some insight as to which of these manufacturers provide reliable PSUs.

In addition to determining a good manufacturer I am also curious as to what wattage of PSU is necessary for my system. Right now I have been looking at 700-800W power supplies because my graphics card and mother board seem to need a considerable amount of power. Also I am wondering whether a modular power supply is a good choice and how much of a difference does dual +12V make.

Specifically for the +12V rail thing I noticed this PSU had a lot of good feature and a cheap prices and was wondering if the single +12V is a bad thing. Buy the Thermaltake XT 775 Watt 80+ Bronze Modular PSU at TigerDirect.ca

Case
For the case I don't need too much assistance because I'll probably pick it up in store but if you have any suggestions for a case under $75 let me know.

Processor
The processor is another area which I am having a lot of trouble deciding on. My two options are the i5-2500K and the i7-2600K. Basically my wallet tells me to buy the i5 because it is $100 cheaper and the only difference is hyper threading and MHz. However I am still drawn to the i7 because a lot of people say that hyper threading increases performance considerably when doing video editing and audio editing. Essentially my question is how much does hyper threading matter, more specifically for my purposes?

Monitor
Finally I was wondering if anybody had recommendations on a monitor. I was thinking something fairly big so that it might also double as a TV. Is it better to buy a large monitor (27') or small TV (33')?

Conclusion

So basically that's my situation as of now and if anybody could provide some assistance it would be much appreciated. Feel free to tell me what's what :P

P.S. Take in account I'm on a little bit of a budget so I probably won't buy the most expensive components unless it is completely worth it.

Last edited by sstrucel; July 27, 2011 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Forgot some details