View Single Post
Old July 19, 2011, 08:14 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Which graphics card should I get?

Hey guys,

It's that time again, it's summer, and it's upgradin' season. Well, I'm deciding between at least two graphics cards:

XFX Radeon HD 6870
XFX Radeon HD 6870 900MHZ 1GB 4.2GHZ GDDR5 2XDVI HDMI 2x Mini Display Port PCI-E Video Card - DirectCanada
Pros
  • Double lifetime warranty and rather painless (costed me $30 in shipping to California though)
  • GPU cooler sucks air in and pumps heat out the back
  • Standard size for Radeon HD 6870 at 10" long.
Cons
  • The XFX letters in the vent looks flimsy and I'm afraid it might pop out and may get stuck inside the GPU causing problems
  • May not be overclocking friendly, my current Radeon HD 4850 isn't.
  • Noisier due to smaller fan.

ASUS Radeon HD 6870
ASUS Radeon HD 6870 DirectCU 913MHZ 1GB 4.2GHZ GDDR5 2XDVI 2XMINI DisplayPort HDMI PCI-E Video Card - DirectCanada
Pros
  • Factory overclocked
  • cooling pipes looks good
  • like how the PCB is built
Cons
  • Warranty is a ?. ASUS does have a Canadian repair centre about 10 blocks from where I live but I have no clue if they accept GPU repairs or not.
  • Sound card may be blocking the fan since it's located near centre
  • Due to overvoltage, GPU may be drawing more power than my PSU can deliver.
  • Card is not standard length, it is 11" long (not sure if it fits my CM 690 II Advanced case)

My budget is C$200 and NVIDIA is not out of the question (I have looked at EVGA's GTX560), but my most important thing is a balance between price, performance and power consumption. Fermi just plainly uses too much power and I don't want to change my PSU unless I absolutely need to since it's running fine right now.

I'm not a fan of the dual fan designs because they look funny and I'm afraid they might draw more power than needed. That and the fact I have no clue if my sound card has enough clearance. Best that I don't need to move the sound card, but if I must then I would do so.

I plan to order it next week since I'm getting my paycheque.

Thoughts? I'm open to any suggestions.

deltatux