View Single Post
Old May 31, 2011, 03:22 PM
Top Prospect

If it were me at least, I would go with a single loop - and also, 1 pump would be enough for that loop but in terms of noise running the two pumps down 1,800rpm and below will provide the 'ultimate' in noise versus performance; so in this case with the MCP35x, a dual setup pump in series would be my choice.

Don't forget, if you set up your GPU blocks in parallel, the restriction level drops in comparison to even 1 card in series - I had a hard time grasping how it could drop total restriction considering you're adding an extra block when I originally was learning about the setup options; but it works because in a parallel setup you have a direct path from input flow, to output flow through the block connectors themselves.

Regardless - I have a loop that goes like this: D5 vario (setting 4) -> 360 rad -> 360 rad -> CPU block (EK HF block) -> GPU block (heatkiller 580 block) -> Reservoir

This setup with a single D5 at setting 4 (with EK top) gives you enough pumping power to run your loop right in between 1.1-1.5GPM which is perfect. I could even turn down the pump to 3 and you'd not notice a temperature difference. Where you really need 'enough' pump, is when it comes to bleeding your loop in the initial stages. At this point, the more power the better to force out all the air pockets (especially in your rads).

This information took me weeks of asking around and trying to figure out what pump/how much pump etc. would work for what I was trying to do: a lot thanks to Martin's little flow estimator spreadsheet as well, which you can find over on XS with a search.