View Single Post
Old May 18, 2011, 05:49 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
I might be wrong, but IIRC the older 780i's dont support TRIM. Or at least that is the vague recollections I have of that series of controllers from NV.

This is the first question you will NEED to find out the answer to. Without trim you are relying on what is usually referred to as "ITGC". This kind of eliminates the SF drives as they well....get slow.

To be honest, I would be very tempted to say the hell with it and get a C300 (killer speeds, good ITGC). They are getting very cheap and while you will be hit with a performance penalty on a Sata 2 rig...when you DO upgrade...presto instant performance boost. AND darn near any ssd will be OMFG fast compared to a 7200rpm hdd :)
Thank you for the advice! I never would have even thought of that... I googled it a bit, and found that there may be a workaround for the lack of trim support by having it accessed through Intel IDE drivers, rather than the automatic driver Windows uses, but if you think the C300 would be a better choice...well, maybe that's the way to go. I'll do some reading up on ITGC. Thanks again!