View Single Post
Old April 21, 2011, 11:04 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
The database that contains all this info is associated with iTunes. Do you really think it would be that hard for Apple to pull a copy of it?...

Also, think youre wrong with yuor GPS comment. AFAIK GPS is passive reception only. Aka you receive multiple wide area GPS transmissions from various satellites and the GPS itself calculates where you are. There is no feedback nor tracking possible for GPS, again AFAIK.
GPS might be passive if using the satellite gps chip, but any location data using cell phone towers (ie. triangulation) could be recorded by the telcomms if I remember correctly, and your phone sends this info when accessing the network.

I am not sure or in a position at this minute to verify if the telcomms actually do this...anyone verify this for sure?
edit: they do track this in the US for many phones it seems: iPhone tracking: What you need to know - CNN.com
Quote:
Mobile phone companies also collect this type of data, but, as the researchers point out, that data "normally requires a court order to gain access to it, whereas this is available to anyone who can get their hands on your phone or computer."
So yes, telcomms in the US have this info already.
Fold for team #54196