View Single Post
Old April 18, 2011, 07:56 AM
Top Prospect

Good suggestions so far...TBH, I don't think it's worth RAIDing the 50GB SSD at this point. If you do, I can guarantee you'll be going through this issue again. 90GB formatted can be chewed through quite quickly after installing the OS, some games, etc... I mean, it's doable, but you'd have to really watch how much capacity you're using. Also, keep in mind that you don't want to fill your SSD too much.

Personally, I'd get a 120GB SSD now and maybe think about getting another for RAID0 down the road when the 120GB's get cheaper and you get a chance to save up a bit more money. I can personally vouche for this setup...the 120GB Vertex2's in RAID0 have been treating me well. The total capacity seems to be good for my needs and they are crazy fast! My system boots very quickly, programs open instantly and games load very quick.

On the flip side, if you don't want to do the RAID0 thing, I'd just keep your 50GB and use it for the OS only and try to keep your OS install quite lean. i.e. disable system restore (as you mention you are backing up - presumably disk imaging?), move the system temp folder to your mechanical disk, install large programs on your mechanical disk, move the page file, etc... With that you can use the new SSD for games as they are going to be taking more space in the long run.