View Single Post
Old April 11, 2011, 08:18 PM
Top Prospect

Red face Game-Capable Laptop for Girlfriend

So I've been bugging my girlfriend about getting a new laptop so we can play Portal 2 together (she has an old junky Acer) but I'm a little out of the loop hardware-wise, so I was hoping you guys could help me out.
  • She doesn't need super high-res gaming, just that she can play games on it for a few years.
  • She's also trying to save money and was hoping to spend somewhere around $800-$900.
  • We'd like to stick to more quality brands like Asus or Sony and shy away from stuff like Acer or HP. (She was even unsure about looking at a Lenovo since they were lower on the failure rate rankings: Laptop reliability survey: ASUS and Toshiba win, HP fails -- Engadget)
  • We'd probably prefer to stick to Memory Express since they're local, and their IPR is really good (side note: Is NCIX's ESP any good? I haven't heard much about it)
So a bit of a challenge.

I'm also not really sure how to rank mobile graphics cards, or what will last for a few years. For instance, how does a Radeon 5730 compare to a 6370?

One model she was looking at was this, but I'm not sure if the card is good enough:
Asus K52DR-A1 w/ Phenom II N830, 4GB, 500GB, DVD+/-RW, 15.6in HD, Radeon HD 5470, Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit at Memory Express Computers

This one was another consideration:
Asus N53JF-A1 w/ Core i5-460M, 4GB, 500GB, DVD+/-RW, 15.6in HD, GeForce GT 425M, Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit at Memory Express Computers

I thought this Lenovo looked decent but she was unsure:
Lenovo Ideapad Y560 0646-5LU w/ Core i5-480M, 4GB, 500GB, DVD+/-RW, 15.6in LED HD, Radeon HD 5730, Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit at Memory Express Computers

Well there's a few we were looking at, but feel free to suggest some more or comment on those above.

Thanks for all the help!!!