View Single Post
Old April 4, 2011, 11:17 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Yes, there has been a marked increase in the "Security Centre" virus. They exist for Windows XP, Vista and 7. They tend to mimic the MSE look and feel. I've had virtually every relative call me in the past month with the issue. I myself succumb to it on one of my PC's (and PS ena, I don't use facebook, or P2P).

I've also seen and heard of an enormous increase in Virus removal service requests for some local computer PC repair shops for that exact virus, though it was taken on a few different forms, but invariable it always mimics some sort of virus scanner.

There has also been a large number of websites that have been built to imitate a virus scanner, which I have noticed is where many of the infections happen. People click on the "close/exit" button, which is actually on the website itself and thus a hyperlink - and whamo - you have yourself a virus

However, I honestly am not to sure where I managed to contract it from. I only use the PC for note taking, research on the go and to answer emails (which is on a private domain & receives no email except form known contacts)