View Single Post
Old March 22, 2011, 05:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Most TV these days is delivered via a set top box in a digital format. Capture cards (unless they're sold/rented by the provider) do not have the ability to decode the signal, and thus would be limited to whatever output the box is set to (channel would have to be set on the box, and would have to be left on for recording). In my case.... analog cable of the lower channels still comes through the lines so I'd be able to record those, but AFAIK 2011 is the end date for analog signals.
I have digital HDTV with a settop PVR, I run a coaxial splitter before the set top box , one line goes to the set top, one line goes to my analog tuner in my HTPC, I can record via the tunercard as you stated the lower (basic cable package) channels or record via the HDPVR the "higher" HD/SD channels via the set top. I also have one coaxial line direct to my TV's coaxial input (HDPVR is hooked up via HDMI) and the final split coaxial line to my stereo receiver ( for FM ).

We had this discussion a few times before and I never could get a set in stone answer but IIRC 2011 is the end of over the air analog signals, so in other words my analog TV tuner should continue to work, but again until this actually happens I am unsure since I have been given conflicting advice. Some ppl say yes it is just the over the air signals other say no it is all analog signals and my TV tuner (in my HTPC) wont work.

Edit: BTW I am on Shaw just FYI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton