Bigadv Core A5 Coming Soon Including Linux; Client Upgrade Req'd [6.34 Binaries Up ]
View Single Post
February 25, 2011, 02:43 PM
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: GTA, Ontario
My System Specs
Alright guys looks like I am folding on core A5 on the Linuxrouter VM.
Here is the quick and dirty on what I did:
1. Downloaded the FAH6.34-Linux64.tgz file using Firefox on good ol Win7.Download here:
2. Extracted the FAH6.34-Linux64.tar from the above file using 7z.
3. Then, extract the fah6.exe file from the above file. This now gives you the binary needed to get the A5 core.
4. Downloaded the vmware Linuxrouter image:
5. Extracted the image with 7z, and ran the vm.
Once the VM runs do not start folding yet.
6. Using Win7, in network you should see a new computer on your network labelled "FAH". Navigate to it, and replace the "fah6" file you see in there with the "fah6" you extracted in step 3 above.
7. Run the fah6 with the bigadv and smp flags, or access the config page as outlined in this guide on step 6:
How To: VMware & Bigadv Folding
The above steps might be vague on details, as its meant for those who have used vmware before. After testing, I'll try to update the guide we host, if Linuxrouter does not get around to replacing the binary himself.
I may also just drop the updated binary in there myself, and make the updated image available from my host via PM only as I don't want to use all my bandwidth up :)
edit 1: first snag:
I tried to make the number of cores availble to vmware 3.0 from the default of 8 to 12 (ie: numvcpus = "12") . Seems vmware 3.0 does not support more than 8! Does anyone know of a version that supports more than 8 cores that is free? Works fine, other than the 12 cores I have not going to 100%.
Fold for team #54196
Last edited by chrisk; February 25, 2011 at
My System Specs
Main(Blackie) Asus Rampage III Formula //
Blackie: i7 970 @4.0GHZ Heatkiller 3.0// Foldy: i7 970 @4.0GHZ EK Supreme
Blackie: Corsair Vengeance 12GB 1600mhz // Foldy: Mushkin 1600MHZ 6GB
Blackie: Evga GTX 580 1.5GB Koolance WB Foldy: Zotac GTX 460 768MB
Blackie: OCZ Vertex 2 240GB, Seagate 3TB, WD Black 2TB, WD Black 1TB Foldy: Intel X25-M 80GB Gen2, WB Black 500GB Externals: WD Green 1.5TB, WD Green 1TB
Blackie: Corsair AX1200w // Foldy: Enermax Revo85+ 1050W
Blackie: Corsair 800D // Foldy: CM HAF 932
Blackie: X-fi Titanium Pro
Blackie: LG Blu-ray writer // Foldy: LG Blu-ray rom
Blackie: Samsung 2693HM 25.5in // Foldy: Acer H213HBMID 21.5in
Blackie: W7 Ultimate 64-bit // Foldy: W7 Pro 64-bit
View Public Profile
Send a private message to chrisk
Find all posts by chrisk