View Single Post
Old February 17, 2011, 09:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Testing for Stability:

Now that we have adjusted our voltages/temperatures/speeds/etc to fit a profile that we think has a chance of stability, it's time to realllly test out our system so we can be 99% confident of stability!

The most important thing to remember is that you can never get 100% confidence in stability, and 7 hours should be a minimum for 95% confidence. Also, do not cheat by cooling your computer's room well below ambient. It's okay to try and keep your room close to ambient, but it will not fully test stability for a 7 hour gaming session unless you know that you'll be able to control the room temp in the future. **Remember that we have already tested our RAM for 3+ hours for stability!

1) Pick your favorite tool that stresses your CPU to the max, it's really good to start off with tests that produce extremely high temps!
2) Run at least 4 hours of max temp stressing and pass (modify settings as needed to pass). I suggest running more than one test, so keep the temp stressing to about 4 hours. If you are only going to run this one test on your CPU, then run it for at least 7 hours.
3) Run at least 8 hours of stress testing that is balanced approach and not max heat. Pass or modify until you pass.
4) Optional: Stress test your GPU while stressing your system. I suggest stressing your GPU when running stress tests. Gives you more realistic results and better confidence about stability.
5) Once you Pass stressing your CPU with both types of stress tests @ the required time limits, pat yourself on the back and look at your awesome job!
**NOTE: If you are having lots of problems with stability during these stages, you may wish to re-test your RAM for stability!

================================================== ============================

The End Result!

Enjoy your power saving overclock! If you're like me, you'll take extreme satisfaction in checking out all the power saving features your overclock offers you! Download CPU-Z and check out:

1) Idle frequency
2) Idle voltages
3) Idle temps
4) Smile at how awesome those are (for saving power/heat)

5) Turn on a stress test or something to load your CPU

6) Watch your CPU instantly kick into the overclock and achieve the clock speeds you set!
7) Be proud of yourself and your overclock.

8) Turn off the load on your CPU and open up something that only has minor CPU usage (i.e. GPU3 F@H client)

9) Be impressed by #1,2,&3 even though your computer is actually using your CPU for daily tasks :D

**It is important to debunk the myth that power saving features are bad when over-clocking! When you are pushing high limits, it will increase difficulty of stability with power saving features enabled, but it is still possible. 99% of the time, the power saving features will NOT degrade performance... the exception being the combination of Bi-Directional PROCHOT and CPU Thermal Monitor, as if your temperatures get too high, they will throttle your CPU. The only performance hit you will ever experience is when going from deep idle to responsive, where you may notice a very short pause as the CPU comes out of deep power saving modes. This will only happen when your CPU has been sitting completely idle for a while. Otherwise you'll notice no performance impact at load and tons of power savings at idle!

Last edited by draemn; February 17, 2011 at 10:58 AM.