View Single Post
Old February 15, 2011, 09:34 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Choppy play over network with HD *.mkv files

Hey guys, I just recently upgraded my main machine, and delegated my old comp to my living room computer. It's an E8400 on a P5N32E-SLI, with 8Gb ram(over-kill, I didn't have anything but 4gb sticks of DDR2 left), and an 8800GT 512mb.

Using this machine to run local content has been fine in the past and is again fine now, but when I stream over our giga network(dlink giga switch) any file that is 3Gb+ tends to lag out sooner or later. Usually anything over 4Gb just chops constantly.

I use CCCP(Combined Community Codec Pack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) for my basic codec install, and then I install coreAVC for it's ability to use GPU acceleration. I set the preferred codec in MPC's options and it shows that it's using core whenever I view files in MPC.

The "server" computer is my gaming rig currently. 2600K, 4gb ram, streaming from green drives, or black the chop/lag is the same. No-one is using the main rig at the time of streaming(not that it should make a difference, but it's a possibility).

I know the situation is less that ideal over-all, but what I do NOT get is that my alienware M11x, streaming over wireless G can stream the same content, without a hitch.

I'm not a codec guru, so what bothers me is that using the exact same install files and steps done to install, my laptop streams over wifi, better than my desktop does over gigabit lan.

I'm frustrated, and looking for suggestions. I've uninstalled(on both machines) and reinstalled everything side by side, only to have it behave the same. I would think that a mobile/low-power i7 shouldn't make THAT much of a difference over an E8400, but I have been wrong in the past.