View Single Post
Old February 14, 2011, 08:01 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
The plot thickens....lol

Did you get more than one cable from Monoprice? If you did, do they all have the same problem? If you only have one cable, then maybe it's just faulty. I had a faulty RCA cable from Monoprice once (no audio would transmit over it) and they quickly shipped me another, no questions asked. Didn't have to return the busted one either.
I got 3 to replace all. I wanted longer cables so there was enough slack to pull my computer out from underneath the table.
I always left the center monitor cable where it was. But I switched the two for the left and right monitors. I switched them at the monitor port...then later tried switching them at the GPU port end. The problem stayed both times...which would indicate both those cables are bad if your assumption is correct. I don't think it is faulty cabling. But I have no way of knowing for sure.

Quote:
I suppose another possible alternative would be to use a DVI-to-HDMI cable instead. Perhaps that would solve the problem? For only $4.69 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 15ft 28AWG HDMI DVI Cable w / Ferrite Cores - Black | 28AWG HDMI-DVI Cables The pinout seems identical to the included DVI cables at least.
Oh...I do have other cables. An HDMI, and 3 VGA that came with the monitors as well. But none are long enough to be able to pull my computer out.

Quote:
To add to your confusion, the included ASUS cables are DVI-D but single-link. The ones you bought are DVI-D dual-link. Thus the missing pins on the ASUS one. Although it still really shouldn't matter, but perhaps it's wired up incorrectly inside the monitor or is grounded out or something. I don't know...
Thanks. I think I asked and someone said single or double didn't matter for what I was doing. However it certainly does matter that the mini display to DVI adapter is single link. And I never changed the center cable that uses the adapter. I wonder if that one dual link cable hooked up to the adapter is the issue...and for the other two it doesn't matter because their not using the adapter.

omg...so much troubleshooting. I've started getting in to installing games now...and setting up the controllers. Too much for me to test this one thing now.
At least, if I order some new longer DVI-D cables...I guess I should make sure they are single link just in case.