View Single Post
Old February 9, 2011, 09:24 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
on paper it looks good.

an easy way to tell if,at least on the efficiency side its ok, is to plug your pc into
a kill a watt or something along the lines P3 - Kill A Watt

with all the components at stock and watch how many watts its pulling at the wall.
idle at desktop/cpu load(prime95)/gpu load(3dmark/furmark(extreme))

you can do a calculation on power consumption based on different reviews, for graphic cards

look it up here : ASUS GeForce GT 440 1 GB Review - Page 24/30 | techPowerUp

and round it up. if the numbers shown on the device(given its accuracy is decent)
are more or less what you'd expect than its ok. if the difference is rather large(say 50-75 watts or more)

then watch out.

i always plug any build into my kill a watt and at boot i take a look at the watts. anything funny i shut down right away.

anyway, look on your psu for some numbers, its not the watts or stuff like that but more like a string of numbers, at least 5-6 caracters

exemple : e176105

and you put it in here : UL Online Certifications Directory - File Number Search

and it gives you this :

Company Name
Category Name
Link to File
ANTEC INC
Power Supplies, Information Technology Equipment Including Electrical Business Equipment Certified for Canada - Component
QQGQ8.E176105
ANTEC INC
Power Supplies, Information Technology Equipment Including Electrical Business Equipment - Component
QQGQ2.E176105
ANTEC INC
Power Supplies, Information Technology Equipment Including Electrical Business Equipment Certified for Canada
QQGQ7.E176105
ANTEC INC
Power Supplies, Information Technology Equipment Including Electrical Business Equipment
QQGQ.E176105

basically it tells you antec is the manu, well antec has units made by other oems like seasonic,delta
but anyway you get the idea.
So... assuming that the PSU I own is working correctly and all, what would be the highest frequency I could rise my Q9400 to using my modest motherboard and stock intel cooler without messing it up big time? 2.8Ghz, 2.9Ghz? and how would I go about doing it.

Please, anyone...... I am desperate here