View Single Post
Old February 8, 2011, 09:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
He would just need to pay for return shipping... Which he can send it back 10 times atleast for $800
But why would you want to send it back at all?

Look I just was on Dell's site and yes parts of their builds are way over priced. A great example is how it costs $400 to go to the raided 300GB 10k drives. For that price I could just get a SSD and a second drive.

The main thing is that we have to look at two major points.

1. The Price - No matter how you cut it part for part the Alienware is quite a bit more expensive. Hard drives and memory are the most blatant examples.

2. The Warranty - No matter how you cut it, the Dell warranty is hands down better. I know people have said well my parts have 5 years or lifetime warranty and sure that is true, but you have to deal with various companies and pretty much have to send everything away. With Dell as long as you can deal with the phone call, you get someone out to your house to repair it onsite. This is the next day people, no sending the machine in, no being left without a machine. Oh and for parts that they send without a tech, you are still supposed to get them next day and you get the new part and then send the old one back, pre-paid I might add. Oh and as an added bonus you can get the processor factory overclocked and it is covered by warranty.

Now all that said for me, living in a city and knowing how to troubleshoot and repair my own systems I would choose NCIX. But I would not hesitate to suggest the Alienware route if the person is remote like the OP and doesn't want to do the work themselves.

Oh and one more piece of advice, do not order the Dell online, phone them. That way you can get it set up the way you want and have more choice than what is shown on the web and you should be able to get a better deal as well.