View Single Post
Old February 4, 2011, 09:46 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
All fans, can be damaged in shipping more easily than you think. Not to mention typical sleeve bearing fans are typically of lower quality and aren't meant to last much more than 3-5 years. (which is still a long time for a $5 product) But they're a lot cheaper and naturally tend to have significantly lower bearing noise than ball bearings. I wouldn't worry too much about DOA rates if you're buying from a good retailer or you're buying a known brand.

My vote goes to 2x R4's in push/pull with undervolting/fan controller, the Blademasters aren't worth double the price IMO. (their only advantage is PWM) At that price point I would be looking at Gelid Wing's, Silverstone Air Penetrators, and Scythe Gentle Typhoons. (all ~$10-$13) Which one would depend on your heatsink, due to strengths and weaknesses of each design which I won't get into. (I'd end up starting a big text wall like ST did)

I would only consider Yates as a reference fan, they really aren't anything great, they just come dirt cheap and perform adequately in all departments.

Oh I know you could get into things like loose fins vs Dense fins in which low pressure fans can sometimes do much better etc etc. Big Text wall, I've played with so many its scary.

I've purchased 40+ R4's , out of that lot I've had 5 Failures (3 had noisy bearings either right away or shortly after install, 2 just had an LED out) but for the cost the performance balance you get is worth it. And, NCIX holds the 1 Year total warranty on these fans. So, that being said if one is bad they will pay the shipping to you, and back. What more can you ask for really?

Push pull is idea. And if wired to a Fan Controller make the 'Pull Fan' work a little better than the 'Push Fan' So that way you avoid eddies inside the HS itself (sounds wierd, but I messed around with a smoke stick once and you'd be suprised what I found).

The only point I will disagree with is the Blademasters being not worth the money. On a Dense Heatsink they work almost as good as the V6 GT's Fans do.
And their statistics have a place in truth, they do work better. But again, its all down to cost.

My Thoughts,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com