View Single Post
Old February 3, 2011, 11:38 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg View Post
Thanks for the reply, ST.

I definitely don't profess to know the science of these topics. What you say makes sense. I would be inclined to think that you need the static pressure to get through the fins of the heatsink and get to the cpu.

I like quiet fans for the case so a higher DBA isn't really an issue for the cpu fan, I think. But, there are so many fans out there and they are usually rated or assessed based on their utility as a case fan. That is, unless one is comparing cpu coolers and fans (although, some companies might include a cheap fan to save costs?).

I read a few discussions in other forums or sites but one link I'll include had some participants that seemed to conclude the static pressure wasn't as crucial. Ironically enough, there was a chart posted but it isn't the one I thought I noticed posted here.

Best 120mm fan for CPU Cooler for static pressure/CFM? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

The Well Dressed Megahalems - 65 fans and 112 setups (56k warning) - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

What do you think?

I am wondering which R4 you recommend. There seems to be a few varieties and one has the colorful LEDs although I found that R4 model for $5 so it's tempting. Does it matter which color or model? :) The Blademaster I haven't heard of it before now but at least it looks standard but no cheaper than other comparable fans?

Which CM R4 would be sufficient for a cpu fan? Thanks.

I don't profess to be an expert either , but most people know me around here to be the actual guy to grab one of each fan type just for the sake of testing it real-world.
Hence the massive collection.

The Coolermaster R4 is this one here NCIX.com - Buy Coolermaster R4-L2R-20AC 120MM Blue LED Case Fan 2000RPM 69CFM 19DBA 3/4 Pin - R4-L2R-20AC-GP In Canada.

They are a very solid fan so long as you mount them in the right spot. Rated for 69CFM (tested this at 63CFM) and 2.92mm h20 for static pressure. To give you a comparable idea, when tested against an Aerocool Xtreme Turbine, which is rated for 90CFM and only 0.82mm H20 the R4 comes out on top.

Using an R4 is okay for a case, but not ideal on its sidepanel or any hard mounting point (Using rubber grommets will offset some of the noise). On a Radiator or heatsink it is idea because the blade design is actually very apt for 'pushing' air through a fin array.

The blademasters might look ordinary, but they are one step beside/above the R4. Generally speaking they are a little quieter and 'undervolt better'. however at their full rated 2000RPM they can kick out 3.90mm H20 static pressure, which is a good improvment over the R4.

Other good alternatives would be Gelid Wing 12PL, Scythe Gentle Typhoon (if you want quieter solution).

you could always get a little crazy and strap a San Ace, Panflo, or Delta to it as well in the extreme, but those are loud.

Hope that helps a bit,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com