View Single Post
Old January 29, 2011, 12:02 PM
Top Prospect

AM3 boards will usually support AM2/AM2+ CPUs, just check the mainboard specifications to be sure. I wouldn't bother upgrading the motherboard though, since all you really need is a new GPU and PSU. Another reason to avoid getting a new motherboard now is the impending release (Q4 maybe?) of AM3+ which will be backwards compatible with AM3, but AM3+ will not be compatible with AM3 boards.

I wouldn't bother with crossfire support. Just get the best card you can within your budget and you'll be fine. With the money you'd save on not buying new motherboard with crossfire, you can put it towards the GPU and just a video card that will be equivalent to any crossfire setup you'd want. With a new PSU for the video card you'll be set for any of the games on the market now and upcoming ones. In a year or two when you're ready to upgrade you can just jump to AM3+ or whatever else is out and swap out your PSU and GPU or XFire/SLI it at that time and sell off your old stuff.

I'd stick with the XFX 850W Semi-Modular from NCIX with the mail in rebate for cheaper than the Newegg.ca one which is more expensive and isn't modular. Modulars are much easier on cable routing =). You can also grab an XFX 6850 for around $182. Just price match the GPU and CPU from BestDirect.ca to NCIX.com. Also if you want to put that $100 from the mainboard into a video card, the HD 6950s look damn nice

Buy XFX [HD685XZNFC] XFX Radeon HD 6850 775MHZ 1GB 4.0GHZ GDDR5 2XDVI Display Port HDMI PCI-E Video Card

Buy XFX [P1850BCAG9] XFX 850W Black Edition Single Rail Semi Modular ATX 12V 70A 24PIN ATX Power Supply 80PLUS Silver

Buy XFX [HD695ACNFC] XFX Radeon HD 6950 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E 2XDVI HDMI 2x Mini DisplayPort Video Card

Also as a shameless plug, I have a pair of Corsair TX950s I have to move if you don't mind having a non-modular 950W octopus in your case . I'll have to make a post for all my parts soon.

Last edited by proxy; January 29, 2011 at 12:16 PM.